Barley sugar lollipops are a delicious treat that has been enjoyed for generations. These sugar lollipops are hard candies made from a mixture of barley water and sugar. They can be enjoyed as a tasty snack, given as party favors or gifts, or used to add sweetness to hot drinks. The possibilities are endless, and their popularity continues to grow.
Barley sugar lollipops are made using simple ingredients that you may already have in your pantry. Here are the ingredients you will need for this recipe.
- Barley water – 1 cup (Boil ¼ cup barley in 1 cup water)
- Granulated sugar – 1 & 1/2 cups
- Flavorings – Fruit extracts, essential oils, or other natural flavorings.
Barley sugar lollipops can be customized with a variety of flavorings. While traditional barley sugar lollipops are often made with lemon or orange extract, you can experiment with other flavorings such as honey, mint, cinnamon, vanilla, or even lavender. Just be sure to use high-quality natural extracts or essential oils, and avoid using artificial flavors or colors.
Adding natural flavorings to your barley sugar lollipops is a great way to enhance their taste and provide additional health benefits. For example, using natural fruit extracts can add vitamins and antioxidants to your lollipops, while essential oils such as peppermint or lavender can help soothe sore throats and promote relaxation.
One important thing to keep in mind when selecting flavorings is to use only those that are safe for consumption. Some essential oils, for example, may not be suitable for ingestion and should only be used for aromatherapy purposes. Always consult with a qualified aromatherapist or nutritionist before using essential oils in your cooking.
3. Equipment need to Make Barley Sugar Lollipops
Making barley sugar lollipops requires a few essential pieces of equipment. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Candy thermometer: A candy thermometer is crucial for making barley sugar lollipops, as it allows you to accurately measure the temperature of the syrup. Without a candy thermometer, it’s easy to overcook or undercook the syrup, which can lead to lollipops that are either too hard or too soft.
- Lollipop molds: Lollipop molds come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and they’re an essential tool for making perfectly shaped lollipops. You can find lollipop molds online or at your local kitchen supply store.
- Saucepan: You’ll need a saucepan to cook the barley sugar syrup. A heavy-bottomed saucepan is ideal, as it distributes heat evenly and helps prevent the syrup from burning.
- Stirring utensil: A silicone spatula or wooden spoon is perfect for stirring the barley sugar syrup.
If you don’t have these items already, don’t worry. Candy thermometers, lollipop molds, and saucepans can be found at most kitchen supply stores, or online at retailers like Amazon. Keep in mind that investing in high-quality equipment will make your lollipop-making experience more enjoyable and yield better results.
4. Steps to Make Barley Sugar Lollipops
1. Prepare the Molds
Grease the lollipop molds with cooking spray to prevent sticking and place the lollipop sticks in the molds.
2. Make the Barley Sugar Mixture
Combine barley water and sugar in a saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Once the mixture reaches 300°F (148.9 °C) on a candy thermometer, remove it from the heat.
3. Add Flavorings
Stir in any desired flavorings or food coloring to the mixture.
4. Pour the mixture into the Mold
Carefully pour the hot mixture into the prepared lollipop molds.
5. Allow the Lollipops to Cool
Allow the lollipops to cool and harden for at least 10 minutes before removing them from the molds.
Enjoy your delicious and homemade barley sugar lollipops.
5. Tips for Making Perfect Barley Sugar Lollipops
- Use a candy thermometer: It’s important to accurately measure the temperature of your barley sugar mixture to ensure it reaches 300°F, the hard-crack stage.
- A candy thermometer is essential for achieving the right temperature.
- The barley sugar mixture can be very hot and sticky, so it’s important to be careful when pouring it into the molds. Use a ladle or pour spout to avoid spills and burns.
- Greasing your lollipop molds with the cooking spray can help prevent sticking and make it easier to remove the lollipops once they have cooled.
The Bottom Line
- Barley water is the key ingredient in making barley sugar lollipops, and it can be easily made at home by soaking barley in water for several hours, then straining the liquid.
- A candy thermometer is essential for making perfect barley sugar lollipops, as it helps ensure the mixture reaches the right temperature before pouring it into the molds.
- Be careful when pouring the hot mixture into the molds, as it can be easy to spill or burn yourself.
- Grease the molds with cooking spray to prevent sticking, and allow the lollipops to cool and harden for at least 10 minutes before removing them from the molds.
- If your lollipops don’t harden or stick to the molds, try adjusting the temperature or adding more sugar to the mixture.
- We encourage you to try making your own barley sugar lollipops at home and share your results in the comments below. It’s a fun and delicious project that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. Enjoy!